All areas of the Shrine are open. Saturday Masses have resumed, but there will NOT be confession before Mass. (updated 10/22/2020)
Welcome to the Maria Stein Shrine of the Holy Relics
A Place of Peace, Prayer and Hospitality
The Maria Stein Shrine of the Holy Relics was founded in 1875 when Father J.M. Gartner entrusted his collection of relics to the Sisters of the Precious Blood at Maria Stein. Housed in a beautiful chapel built in 1892, the collection, with over 1,200 relics on display, is the second largest collection of its type in the United States.
The primary display of relics is in an altar that was hand-carved especially for this purpose. Four beautiful stained-glass windows imported from Munich, Germany and hand- carved woodwork also adorn the Relic Chapel.
The Shrine was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. The genealogical, cultural, and architectural history of the Shrine is of interest to visitors from throughout the world.
The Maria Stein Heritage Museum serves as a research tool for scholars and educators. Students from Wright State University, The University of Dayton, and Capitol University have conducted research in various fields of study.